Facts have emerged on how Adebola Akin-Bright, the 12-year-old boy whose intestines went missing in the process of surgery, passed away yesterday evening, Tuesday, September 19, 2023 at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) Ikeja.
A source close to the family of the deceased told newsmen that Adebola developed complications and was rushed to the intensive care unit of the hospital where he was pronounced dead shortly thereafter.
His death came hours after hopes of his survival were raised during the visit of a delegation of the Lagos State House of Assembly, which called on Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to direct the Ministry of Health to release funds for the overseas treatment of the boy.
The assembly had on September 4 inaugurated a five-man ad hoc committee to investigate the case of the boy.
Adebola’s plight had come to public light on September 1 when his mother, Abiodun Deborah, cried out over the disappearance of his small intestine during his treatment at LASUTH.
As his situation worsened, Adebola could not absorb his own food and had to be fed with artificial food.
During Tuesday’s visit by the lawmakers, the Surgeon In-charge of the boy’s treatment, Prof. Adetokunbo Fabanwo, had told journalists that all hands were on deck to save him.
He stressed that as a tertiary hospital, LASUTH has a lot of experts, including pediatricians, who looked after children, those that look after the heart, kidney and others, assuring that everybody was involved in Adebola’s case.
“As we speak, the condition of the boy is stable, though we are spending a lot of money to keep him alive. The governor has been very magnanimous to provide the funding.
“The committee’s chairman has told you that there are things to be done in definitive terms but that will be discussed at a higher level,” he said.
Speaking during the visit, Adebola’s mother had expressed appreciation to Governor Sanwo-Olu (who earlier visited them at LASUTH), the Speaker of the Lagos House of Assemble, Idowu Obasa, as well as all the doctors that had been treating Adebola.
She said: “Everything about the health conditions of my child has changed since the visit of the governor and all hands have been on deck to ensure that Adebola survives.
“I am hopeful that he will survive. I want to thank the governor, and the speaker. I am so grateful that they rose to attend to Adebola’s case.”
Adeola’s mother said she was losing hope at the initial stage but was now hopeful that her boy would make it. Unfortunately, he didn’t – despite reportedly telling his mother as he was being wheeled into the LASUTH Intensive Care Unit: “Mummy, I will make it!”
Civilian bombing Death toll in Kaduna rise to 85, NAF denies involvement
The death toll in the bombing of civilians by the Army at Tudun Biri Village in Igabi Local Government Area…
Over 150,000 Nigerians applying for US visa interviewed in 2023 — US Embassy
Chargé d’Affaires of the U.S., Embassy in Nigeria, Mr David Greene, has revealed that they have interviewed over 150,000 Nigerians…